23 November 2006

The Buzzzz....

So much has been happening since returning from Sydney and my mind is buzzzzing! So before you get into reading this post, grab yourself a cup of coffee or a glass of wine.

I've been in HK for over 2 years now and part of that time was on a visitor's visa. I didn't really know what I was going to do so I worked illegally for a while, I researched some business ideas, I tried my hand at teaching English to children, I even had a go at a psychic internet chat line...

During this time the one thing that I have been sure about is that I want flexible working hours so that I can spend time with Nick when he's not working. It sure has been interesting and I guess the whole time I've been stumbling along trying to find my feet.

But, I can now gladly say that I'VE FOUND MY FEET! Phew!

Let's back go back a few months... in June laws were changed and I could legally work and start my own business. At that time I registered my business, The Modern Goddess. Not long after that I found some casual work, in the computer training field and even though I'm good at it, computer training is not a passion, it's more of a means to an end... basically it's easy money! I'm more passionate about helping people, not about computers. Anyway... since July I've been trying to articulate what it is that I want to do.

I know that:
* I want to work with women,
* I want to help people, in particular women develop themselves,
* I want to empower people to do whatever it is that they want to do in this lifetime,
* I want to be able to give back to society through volunteer work,
* I want to help people grow, explore, develop etc

Let me give you the BIG picture! I have big dreams of opening a community centre based locally in the Hong Kong Gold Coast area. The centre will be run by women, for women and I'd like to achieve this within five years. At this stage, the name of the centre will be 'Balance and Healing'. To read more about it, click here.

And in the meantime, The Modern Goddess will focus on conducting unique workshops and pamperings that empower and inspire the goddess within. You may be wondering what I mean by 'the goddess within'... it's about respecting yourself for who you are and listening to you inner voice, because she's telling you something but most of the time you're not paying attention.

I have 3 aspects of the busines - workshops that celebrate/support a new phase in a woman's life; personal development workshops which includes computer training (for the moment); and my pampering sessions in massage and Reiki. To read more about my business, click here.

In amongst all that, I am keen to do some volunteer work with women, children and animals. To read more about the volunteer work, click here and scroll down.

Now you might be saying "how on earth is she going to do all of that by herself?"... you can rest easy that I won't be working myself to death. Everything I do is based on a client's need or a contract, so I will need to manage my time so that I don't get overwhelmed and if I start to get busy, then I will need to look at hiring someone to help in certain areas.

So are you wondering what I'm up to for the next 6 months? The next 6 months is very computer focused - I have some training materials to write for a training company in Darwin; I need to pull together a learning program for the adults with learning disabilities and I need to prepare for computer workshops that I am running for the YWCA.

That will take me up to at least Easter and from memory Nick has holidays, so I'll have a well deserved break from all things computer related.

Whilst doing all of that, I hope to run a few Goddess Playshops or Mother's Blessing ceremonies as well as launch an electronic newsletter to my subscribers and an online consignment store for products that inspire and empower the goddess within.

So... I can quiet confidently say I won't be a 'lady of lesuire', I'll be a Modern Goddess wearing many hats... wife, friend, social butterfly, lover, teacher, facilitator etc.

I guess the last question for you is, what's Nick up to? At this very moment he's wooping it up in Melbourne but as usual, he's being a supportive, loving person that he is. He hopes to become a Captain the first quarter of next year and when he gets back from holidays he mentioned something about getting back into the studies. Please send positive vibes out into the Universe that Nick will become a Captain early next year. It's amazing how much study he has to do but at least we know that we'll be in competent hands when flying. He did find going 6 months without a small break was exhausting, so next year we hope to have shorter holidays more frequently.

Anyway, this post has been a long one... Until next time, big hugs to you... and keep smiling!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! What a fantastic thing you're doing! The concept is so huge :) You'll do it though, and you'll do it well! And thanks for the explanation! That's super :)

DanniL

Nicole said...

Thanks Danni :D