26 March 2008

Happy Belated Easter

I hope everyone had a lovely Easter and enjoyed the extra-long weekend.

My extra-long weekend was spent in Singapore with Melissa and Juria (who moved there at the end of January).

I really liked Singapore! It is so different from the other Asian countries I've been to and I guess part of it is that it's very 'westernised'.

Being a 3.5 hour flight it's definitely a country to visit when a break from Hong Kong is needed. Singapore is really multicultural with a blend of the East and West. Most people speak English and it is very easy to get around. It is really clean, very lush and green, and people are really friendly.

It was lovely to catch up with Juria and our quiet Saturday night turned into a very big night. We were intending to have a few quiet drinks at a bar that had a latin band playing. I was completely shocked when I asked the time and Melissa so calmly announced it was 4:30am!

The next day Juria recovered, Melissa caught up with a friend and I headed to Singapore's Zoo. It is probably one of the best zoo's I've been to, not that I've been to a lot.

The zoo has tried to put the animals in a very natural environment, which allows visitors to see the animals relatively close up. As usual, I enjoyed the big cats and I really enjoyed watching the different primates, especially the orang utangs.

The taxi driver was explaining that the zoo and the Singaporean people are still getting over the loss of Ah Meng, Singapore Zoo’s most famous and well-loved orang utan. She passed away on 8 February 2008 due to old age. She was 48 years old.

She was a very gentle orang utang and people could have breakfast with her. He said that many Singaporeans went to her funeral.

Melissa and I headed to Little India on Monday and skipped China Town. If you want to check out my other photos, you can visit my Singapore Photo Gallery.

I hope to take Nick there sometime and at that time I'll do a bit more of the tourist thing, including Chinatown, the Night Safari at the Zoo and Santosa, a little island off Singapore.

I look forward to catching up soon. xo

No comments: